Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Difference Between Men and Women

Ok Garnet, so let's talk frankly about bisexuality. I want to know what the differences are between dating men and dating women. Would YOU happen to know anything about this? Are men really the pigs that everyone says they are? Tell me the advantages and disadvantages of each.

You start your inquiry about bisexuality, but you're not really asking about bisexuality. You're asking about the differences between dating men and women. While bisexuals may have first hand experience with this, the question itself is not about bisexuality.

It is difficult to talk about the differences between dating men and dating women without making broad sweeping generalizations. I don't like making generalizations about people and I really don't like implying that anyone is inherently one way or another because of some physical trait that they were born with. More often than not, if there are broad generalizations to be made they are socially constructed traits. What I mean by this is that the reason males may be more aggressive than females is because they are taught to be aggressive and females are taught to be passive. But then here I have to make all kinds of qualifying comments like how it depends on the male/female, it depends on how they were raised, it depends on their ethnicity, it depends it depends it depends ...

So there may be a lot of male pigs out there, but there are also plenty of men who are not pigs, who are in fact progressive feminist activists. And there are women out there who are pigs.

But this is not what you want to hear from me. You want me to dish out the dirt about the differences between men and women, but all I can really do is give you insight into my own dating experiences. I cannot speak for anyone else, nor would I want to. So with that said, I'm going to be really lame and not give you a real answer. You could probably get an answer from a more mainstream heterosexual sex adviser, but I try to stay away from putting people in boxes that they may or may not fit into.

However, I suggest openly talking to people and asking about their dating experiences whether they be gay, lesbian, bi, straight, or any other color in the sexual rainbow. You may or may not come to your own conclusions from these discussions about the differences between dating men and women. Just remember to not assume anything about someone just because of the gender they are presenting.

No comments: